Job Opening: Ronald McDonald Family Room Manager at Inova Children’s Hospital
JOB TITLE: Ronald McDonald Family Room Manager (Nova)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt; Full-time
REPORTS TO: VP, Programs and Operations
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Greater Washington, D.C. (RMHCDC) has been serving families in the Greater Washington, D.C. area for 40 years. Our mission is to ease the hardship of children’s illness on families. We do this through three core programs (Ronald McDonald Houses, Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles) that focus on the critical needs of children, celebrating the diversity of the donors who make them possible, staying true to our heritage of responsible stewardship, and operating with accountability and transparency.
Open seven days a week, the Ronald McDonald Family Rooms are quiet, homelike spaces within Inova Children’s Hospital where parents and other caregivers can get a cup of coffee or light snack, check email, participate in a program such as knitting, or sit quietly to re-group and still be just steps from their child. Room volunteers also make regular rounds on the floors with a rolling cart stocked with water, snacks, toys and other small items for parents and children. The 8th floor Family Room serves the NICU, PICU, Cardiac Care and Med/Surg. units. The 10th floor Family Room serves the Hematology/Oncology unit. The amenities of the RMFRs support the hospital’s family-centered approach to care.
The Ronald McDonald Family Room Manager oversees the operation of the Family Rooms at Inova Children’s Hospital. The Family Room Manager reports to the VP, Programs and Operations and is part of the (RMHCDC) staff, but works on-site at the hospital. The Family Room Manager provides room coverage, and recruits, trains, and oversees volunteers and part-time staff working in the rooms.
Success in this position will require fitting into the culture of RMHCDC. This will require a passion for the mission of the organization and for the families it serves. It will require the ability to work with a variety of charity partners and volunteers who support and help the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide room coverage during core business hours Monday thru Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with occasional evening and weekend hours;
• Recruit, train and oversee volunteers and part-time staff;
• Ensure the Family Rooms are stocked with snacks and supplies;
• Stay within stated budget parameters and track spending accordingly;
• Maintain positive working relationships with key hospital staff members, and act as the main point of contact for daily operations;
• Create and manage a robust volunteer schedule to ensure room coverage during stated hours (9:00 am to 9:00 pm, 7 days/week);
• Maintain physical space and work with VP, Programs & Operations to ensure quality standards are upheld;
• Responsible for a variety of data collection including volunteer service hours, room usage data and other key metrics;
• In conjunction with VP, Programs & Operations, manage and create in-room programming that meets the needs of families;
• Work closely with RMHCDC development and marketing staff to share family stories, photos and room events;
• Ensure all room staff and volunteers adhere to hospital safety and quality guidelines; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 5+ years of experience, preferably in a non-profit or healthcare environment.
• Experience working with children and families of diverse backgrounds and families in crisis.
• Excellent people skills: friendly and outgoing and able to be caring, compassionate and comforting without being intrusive.
• Able to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
• Must be dependable and flexible, able to demonstrate initiative and work with minimum oversight.
• Organized and detail-oriented.
• Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written.
• Excellent computer skills, comfortable learning new software.
• Experience with program development/management is preferred.
• Candidates will be cross-trained by RMHCDC and Inova to become familiar with both organizations and must meet other hiring requirements such as completing a background check and receiving an annual flu vaccination.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires:
• A moderate amount of sitting and walking within a temperature controlled, hospital/healthcare environment
• Frequent use of hands and arms, with the ability to lift and move supplies up to 20 lbs. as needed
• Kneeling/stooping as needed to straighten and clean the family room
• Talking and listening to individuals and small groups is a major component of the role
The Ronald McDonald Family Rooms are located in Inova Children’s Hospital. The Family Room Manager may need to report to the Ronald McDonald House on the Inova Fairfax campus occasionally to attend meetings or pick up supplies.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
RMHCDC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status.