JOB TITLE: Program Assistant
FLSA STATUS:Non-Exempt; Part-time
REPORTS TO:DC House Manager
Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Greater Washington, D.C. (RMHCDC) has been serving families in the Greater Washington, D.C. area for over 35 years. Our mission is to ease the hardship of children’s illness on families. We do this through three core programs (RM Houses, RM Family Rooms, RM Care Mobiles) that focus on the critical needs of children, celebrating the diversity of the donors who make them possible, staying true to our heritage of responsible stewardship, and operating with accountability and transparency.
The Program Assistant is primarily responsible for overall management of our volunteer program. Volunteers assist the House on a daily basis, helping to achieve our home-like environment. The Program Assistant is the main point-of-contact for volunteers from recruitment of new volunteers to retention of existing volunteers. The Program Assistant also helps with other tasks as needed to enhance the services we offer.
Success in this position will require a passion for the mission of the organization and the families it serves. It will require the ability to work with a diverse volunteer population, as well as various staff members, donors, and families.
This is a part-time position, located at the Washington, DC Ronald McDonald House, requiring 20-25 hours per week. Regular schedule will be 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with occasional weekend hours.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Volunteer Program Management
- Respond to all volunteer inquiries
- Coordinate scheduling of volunteer shifts and activities for weekly volunteers and volunteer groups
- Maintain master volunteer schedule and enter data to track volunteer hours
- Develop volunteer recruitment, training, and retention plan
- Determine appropriate utilization of volunteers to relieve staff
- Prepare for, supervise, and instruct volunteers
- Conduct volunteer orientation and training
- Develop volunteer appreciation strategies
2. Program Support
- Greet and interact with residents to create an atmosphere of hospitality and to ensure their well-being and comfort
- Assist in efforts to solicit gift-in-kind donations and work with the development team to ensure proper communication about potential donors
- Support the day-to-day operations of the House as needed
- Become familiar with, and ensure proper enforcement of, all RMH policies and procedures
- Assist in managing incoming deliveries and donations
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written manner
- Comfortable speaking to and leading small groups of people
- Ability to work independently
- Detail-oriented, task-oriented, and organized
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment, decision-making ability, and flexibility
- Ability to work effectively with people, especially families in crisis
- Displays high integrity, honesty, and professional maturity
- Takes initiative, persists at tasks, and peruses completion of objectives
- Demonstrates a welcoming attitude and a genuine belief in our mission
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience
- Previous experience working effectively with and managing volunteers
- Previous experience working in a non-profit environment preferred
- Willingness and ability to work some evenings and weekends
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resumé to HR@rmhcdc.org. Resumés without a cover letter will not be considered.
RMHCDC is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, expression, gender identity or veteran status.